Open To Suggestion

Welcome, talk about whatever you want.
 
HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inArcade

Share | 
 

 Master and Commander or Gladiator?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
debauchedsloth

avatar

Number of posts : 1294
Age : 28
Registration date : 2006-12-05

PostSubject: Master and Commander or Gladiator?   12/3/2007, 6:40 pm

Which is the better movie? Twisted Evil

They're both historical movies with Russell Crowe, give or take twenty pounds or so. I like them both, but there's an obvious right answer here.

Let the debate begin.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
miniman101

avatar

Number of posts : 2734
Age : 27
Registration date : 2006-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Master and Commander or Gladiator?   12/3/2007, 6:44 pm

Hannah, this could result in a terrible battle.

I will say that there are some VERY minor details that i would have changed in Gladiator. Its seems like they where short on time and had to improvise.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://motoringfile.com/
debauchedsloth

avatar

Number of posts : 1294
Age : 28
Registration date : 2006-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Master and Commander or Gladiator?   12/3/2007, 6:44 pm

miniman101 wrote:
Hannah, this could result in a terrible battle.

Why, they're both good movies. I don't take anything personally, do you??

Quote :
I will say that there are some VERY minor details that i would have changed in Gladiator. Its seems like they where short on time and had to improvise.

Like what?

And which one is your favorite, as if I don't know?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
miniman101

avatar

Number of posts : 2734
Age : 27
Registration date : 2006-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Master and Commander or Gladiator?   12/3/2007, 6:49 pm

Quote :
Why, they're both good movies. I don't take anything personally, do you??

No way.

Quote :
Like what?

I couldn't tell you, I see little things three or four times through out the movie.

Quote :
And which one is your favorite, as if I don't know?

Well Gladiator, but Master and Commanders is not to far behind.

We should have a night with the select few and watch both of them. What do you think?

I have to go feed the dogs. Jake is gone for the week. So talk to you soon.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://motoringfile.com/
debauchedsloth

avatar

Number of posts : 1294
Age : 28
Registration date : 2006-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Master and Commander or Gladiator?   12/3/2007, 6:53 pm

miniman101 wrote:
We should have a night with the select few and watch both of them. What do you think?

Those are two...very long movies. I don't know; it would depend on the group, and the group's attention span.

I'd watch Gladiator with a group.

Master and Commander....I mean, if someone gets it organized, of course I'll go, but.... I don't know. I'm not so into watching my absolute favorite movies in public. Sort of embarrassing, for me. I don't want to weird anyone out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
miniman101

avatar

Number of posts : 2734
Age : 27
Registration date : 2006-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Master and Commander or Gladiator?   12/3/2007, 8:10 pm

I don't think anyone would be weirded out. Its a great movie.

Besides, I am talking You and Grace, Jon and Thi, Caitlin, Jake, and Jessica.

But maybe you're right. Maybe we should just watch one.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://motoringfile.com/
jondoe
Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 2224
Age : 26
Registration date : 2006-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Master and Commander or Gladiator?   12/3/2007, 8:35 pm

Gladiator...that was easy.

_________________
R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://opentosuggestion.zikforum.com
Pirate

avatar

Number of posts : 387
Age : 30
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Master and Commander or Gladiator?   12/3/2007, 10:16 pm

miniman101 wrote:
I don't think anyone would be weirded out. Its a great movie.

Besides, I am talking You and Grace, Jon and Thi, Caitlin, Jake, and Jessica.

But maybe you're right. Maybe we should just watch one.

afraid afraid afraid afraid afraid afraid afraid afraid Eye Popping Eye Popping Eye Popping Eye Popping Eye Popping Eye Popping Eye Popping


You forgot Abigail.......... pale

Sorry, she won't know.....unless I tell her.....

I think we should watch both of them in one night. It seems to me like the only way to settle this debate.

Neither are my favorite...by far...but I'd love to watch them with friends. I havn't watched either for a while.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
miniman101

avatar

Number of posts : 2734
Age : 27
Registration date : 2006-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Master and Commander or Gladiator?   12/3/2007, 11:01 pm

Quote :
I think we should watch both of them in one night. It seems to me like the only way to settle this debate.

Okay, but the bigger question is which movie do we watch first. We will all be fresh and awake, so two hours later the second one isn't going to get as much attention.

Quote :
Neither are my favorite...by far...

scratch Blue Arguing Arguing

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://motoringfile.com/
jondoe
Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 2224
Age : 26
Registration date : 2006-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Master and Commander or Gladiator?   13/3/2007, 12:49 pm

collegehottie87 wrote:
Neither are my favorite...by far...

Same here.

_________________
R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://opentosuggestion.zikforum.com
debauchedsloth

avatar

Number of posts : 1294
Age : 28
Registration date : 2006-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Master and Commander or Gladiator?   13/3/2007, 1:07 pm

So much to reply to...

miniman101 wrote:
I don't think anyone would be weirded out. Its a great movie.

It's not that I don't think people will like it. I don't care if people dislike it.

But I don't think you all need to watch me watching it. I get very into it. Let's put it that way. No details are needed.

collegehottie87 wrote:
You forgot Abigail.......... pale

I think he was only listing the people that are on the site. Not leaving her out.


I still think we should just watch Gladiator. And if we have to watch them both, I vote we watch them on separate nights. Like a week apart.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
miniman101

avatar

Number of posts : 2734
Age : 27
Registration date : 2006-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Master and Commander or Gladiator?   13/3/2007, 2:36 pm

Quote :
I still think we should just watch Gladiator. And if we have to watch them both, I vote we watch them on separate nights. Like a week apart.

Sounds good.

And I just forgot about Abigail. Sure she could come.

So when is this going to happen. Not next weekend. Half of us will be gone. And a week from Sat. we are all going to your house for Bible study. Now that I think of it, the next two weekends are a no go. Unless we do it on a weekday. I doubt that will happen though.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://motoringfile.com/
jondoe
Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 2224
Age : 26
Registration date : 2006-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Master and Commander or Gladiator?   13/3/2007, 2:58 pm

Off Topic Off Topic Off Topic Off Topic Off Topic Off Topic Off Topic Off Topic

Hey Josh, nice avatar. Twisted Evil

(The pic is just in case you change it.)

_________________
R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://opentosuggestion.zikforum.com
debauchedsloth

avatar

Number of posts : 1294
Age : 28
Registration date : 2006-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Master and Commander or Gladiator?   13/3/2007, 3:01 pm

miniman101 wrote:
Quote :
I still think we should just watch Gladiator. And if we have to watch them both, I vote we watch them on separate nights. Like a week apart.

Sounds good.

And I just forgot about Abigail. Sure she could come.

So when is this going to happen. Not next weekend. Half of us will be gone. And a week from Sat. we are all going to your house for Bible study. Now that I think of it, the next two weekends are a no go. Unless we do it on a weekday. I doubt that will happen though.

Does the world end in two weeks? What's wrong with doing it next month, or the next? I'm not really in a hurry.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
miniman101

avatar

Number of posts : 2734
Age : 27
Registration date : 2006-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Master and Commander or Gladiator?   13/3/2007, 5:13 pm

Well no, but I was just saying..

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://motoringfile.com/
debauchedsloth

avatar

Number of posts : 1294
Age : 28
Registration date : 2006-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Master and Commander or Gladiator?   15/3/2007, 5:14 pm

Well, since I'm just sitting here alone in my thoughts, I would like to state my opinion that Master and Commander is my all-time favorite movie, yes, above Lord of the Rings, which is potentially second, and then maybe Pride and Prejudice.

Gladiator is maybe in my top twenty. But I still like it.

But since there is such a hideously horrible villain in it, I really can't watch it over and over. Plus I don't like the girl. One of the best things about MaC is that...there are no girls. But that's just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pirate

avatar

Number of posts : 387
Age : 30
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Master and Commander or Gladiator?   15/3/2007, 7:17 pm

debauchedsloth wrote:
Well, since I'm just sitting here alone in my thoughts, I would like to state my opinion that Master and Commander is my all-time favorite movie, yes, above Lord of the Rings, which is potentially second, and then maybe Pride and Prejudice.

Gladiator is maybe in my top twenty. But I still like it.

But since there is such a hideously horrible villain in it, I really can't watch it over and over. Plus I don't like the girl. One of the best things about MaC is that...there are no girls. But that's just my opinion.

*shocked expression*

Hannah! No girls? don't say that in front of the guys...... Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
miniman101

avatar

Number of posts : 2734
Age : 27
Registration date : 2006-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Master and Commander or Gladiator?   15/3/2007, 9:47 pm

Quote :
But since there is such a hideously horrible villain in it, I really can't watch it over and over. Plus I don't like the girl. One of the best things about MaC is that...there are no girls. But that's just my opinion.

I really thought Lucilla (the girl) did excellent. And plus the "villain" was phenomenal. He just has that way of making you hate him. One of my favorite scene was just be for the last battle when Commodus came down to talk to Maximus when he was tied up. Right as he is walking was, the editors slowed down a clip with a contrast. His eyes where.. Here its this scene. http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0172495/Ss/0172495/10?path=gallery&path_key=0172495

But we are all going to watch it soon enough.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://motoringfile.com/
debauchedsloth

avatar

Number of posts : 1294
Age : 28
Registration date : 2006-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Master and Commander or Gladiator?   16/3/2007, 1:53 pm

collegehottie87 wrote:
debauchedsloth wrote:
Well, since I'm just sitting here alone in my thoughts, I would like to state my opinion that Master and Commander is my all-time favorite movie, yes, above Lord of the Rings, which is potentially second, and then maybe Pride and Prejudice.

Gladiator is maybe in my top twenty. But I still like it.

But since there is such a hideously horrible villain in it, I really can't watch it over and over. Plus I don't like the girl. One of the best things about MaC is that...there are no girls. But that's just my opinion.

*shocked expression*

Hannah! No girls? don't say that in front of the guys...... Very Mad


confused
Why? Would it be weirder for me to say I like movies with all girls and no guys?

I would say 85% of the time I don't like the main girl in a movie. So, odds are, you're better off having me watch a movie with no female characters at all.

But there are actually seven female characters in Master and Commander. Canoe Girl #1, Canoe Girl #2, Canoe Girl #3, Canoe Girl #4 (who gets to be IN THE TRAILER, the greatest hypocrisy of the age!!!) and Sophie, Jack's wife, who is shown in a portrait that Jack carries. Also Warley's wife, whose cut-out profile he carries. And also the ship's figurehead.

So it's not a....completely...male-dominated movie... Innocent
Back to top Go down
View user profile
debauchedsloth

avatar

Number of posts : 1294
Age : 28
Registration date : 2006-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Master and Commander or Gladiator?   16/3/2007, 1:55 pm

miniman101 wrote:
Quote :
But since there is such a hideously horrible villain in it, I really can't watch it over and over. Plus I don't like the girl. One of the best things about MaC is that...there are no girls. But that's just my opinion.

I really thought Lucilla (the girl) did excellent. And plus the "villain" was phenomenal. He just has that way of making you hate him. One of my favorite scene was just be for the last battle when Commodus came down to talk to Maximus when he was tied up. Right as he is walking was, the editors slowed down a clip with a contrast. His eyes where.. Here its this scene. http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0172495/Ss/0172495/10?path=gallery&path_key=0172495

But we are all going to watch it soon enough.

I'm not saying their acting wasn't good, and yes, you are supposed to hate the Emporer, so he did a good job. Joaquin Phoenix is a good actor.

But I hate him so much I prefer not to see his face onscreen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
miniman101

avatar

Number of posts : 2734
Age : 27
Registration date : 2006-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Master and Commander or Gladiator?   16/3/2007, 6:12 pm

I hated him in Walk the Line. Uuhh They could have had a better actor.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://motoringfile.com/
jondoe
Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 2224
Age : 26
Registration date : 2006-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Master and Commander or Gladiator?   16/3/2007, 6:20 pm

miniman101 wrote:
I hated him in Walk the Line. Uuhh They could have had a better actor.

I think he did a great job in that movie. Neutral

_________________
R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://opentosuggestion.zikforum.com
helma



Number of posts : 130
Age : 32
Registration date : 2010-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Master and Commander or Gladiator?   28/6/2010, 11:54 pm

The movie contains many elements recognizable from Patrick O'Brian novels: Two cannons are shown with the names, ("Jumping Billy" and "Sudden Death") but the camera pulls up before we see the name of the next cannon. All fans know the next cannon would have been "Willful Murder" (Barret Bonden's gun), although never mentioned. Killick is preparing toasted cheese for Jack and Stephen for after their music sessions.
____________________________
Teeth Bleaching Glasgow|Invisalign Glasgow
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Master and Commander or Gladiator?   

Back to top Go down
 
Master and Commander or Gladiator?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Master Splinter aka Hamato Yoshi
» Why do we love Master Splinter so much?
» The puppet master
» Durmstrang Headmaster
» 110616 SNSD Jessica's Extravagant Gifts from Fans of All Age Groups!

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Open To Suggestion :: Main Boards :: Movies-
Jump to: